Legal Description (abbreviated):
Lots 1, 2, 7, & 8 in Block 7 and the Southerly 200 feet of Block 0, all in Roberts’ Addition to the City of Walla Walla (139� x 200′).
Title and Occupant History:
August 30, 1871–A. B. and Martha E. Roberts, husband and wife, sold lots 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, & 8 in Block 7 of Roberts’ Addition to A. R. Fay for $500. (Deed Book H, Page SIS, hereinafter H/515)
A. B. Roberts came to Walla Walla from Portland, Oregon in 1859 and immediately purchased a large farm site just south of Main St. He was a pioneer orchardist and real estate dealer.
March 16, 1874–Albert R. and Nancy Fay, husband and wife, sold lots 1, 2, 7, & 8 to William Mulligan for $200. (L/269)
January 29, 1878–William Mulligan sold lots 1, 2, 7, & 8 to E. B. Hawley for $200. (P/289)
E. B. Hawley is listed in Miller’s 1880 Walla Walla directory as a partner in the painting firm of Hawley & Judson with a residence on Dr. Newell S1, in Roberts’ Addition. The 1881 directory lists his address as 302 Dr. Newell S1,
February 23, 1878–Charles and Julia A. Moore, husband and wife, sold 200 feet of the southerly end of Block 0 in Roberts Addition to E. B. Hawley for $56. (P/405)
February 19, 1880–E. B. and Cornelia J. Hawley, husband and wife, sold lots 1, 2, 7, & 8 + the southerly 200 feet of the end of Block 0 to Mrs. M.J. Buckmaster for $600. (S/519)
J. Buckmaster is listed in the 1880 directory as a painter with a residence on the south side of Poplar at the end of First St. He is listed in 1881-84 at 207 East St,
September 30, 1886–Josh and M. J. Buckmaster, husband and wife, sold the property in the legal description to Levi Ankeny for $1000. (37/25)
W. D. Lyman, in Lyman’s History of Old Walla Walla County, Vol, II, pp. 16-19, says of Levi Ankeny: “He has been active in connection with mining and with the copper industry and for many years he has occupied a most prominent position in banking circles.� In 1878 he organized the First National Bank of Walla Walla and went on to establish others in Pendleton, Baker City, Waitsburg, and Dayton. In 1903 he was elected to the U. S. Senate where he served for six years. The 1880 directory list his residence on the southeast corner of Birch & Park.
September 25, 1888–Levi and Jennie N. Ankeny, husband and wife, sold the property to Emma Bender for $1350. (41/213)
The 1889 directory lists Leonard A. Bender as a farmer living at 315 Newell.
Construction of the House: The 1889 listing together with the selling prices in 1888 and 1891, of $1350 and $4500 respectively, indicate that the house was built by the Benders in late 1888 or early 1889.
April 28, 1891–Emma May and Leonard A. Bender, wife and husband, sold the property to W. S. Gilliam for $4500. (47/626)
The 1892 and 1898 directories list W. S. Gilliam as a farmer with a residence at 315 Dr. Newell S1,
January 19, 1909–W. S. and Esther A. Gilliam, husband and wife, sold the property to Mary Gilliam for $1 “and other valuable considerations.” (115/104)
The 1898 directory lists Mary Gilliam as a teacher in the public schools residing at 315 Dr. Newell, and the 1918 directory lists her as county superintendent of schools.
July 11, 1925–a Sheriff’s sale resulted from the case of David E. Tufts and Lillie A. Tufts, plaintiffs, v. Mary Gilliam et. al., defendants. The Superior Court found Gilliam in arrears on payment of promissory notes. The property was sold to the Tufts for $1574.97. (Superior Court Case #18742)
The 1925-26 directory lists David E. Tufts as a rancher with a home at 58 Fern Ave., and the 1926-27 directory lists Lillie A. Tufts as the widow of D. Tufts with a home at 58 Fern Ave.
October 4, 1928–Lillie A. Tufts, widow of David E. Tufts, deceased, sold the property to Frank H. Ludwigs for the listed consideration of $1. (#175494, see also Deed #174521 and #174782 relating to clearing title to Frank Ludwigs)
The 1929-30 directory lists Frank H. Ludwigs as a partner in Ludwigs’ Jewelers & Watch Repairing, Optometrists at 111 W. Main with a home at 315 Newell.
October 10, 1978–Frank H. Ludwigs, a single person, sold the property to Craig M. and Carolyn J. Buchanan, husband and wife, for $25,000. (#7808936)
The 1979 directory lists Craig M. Buchanan as an employee of Martin Buchanan, farmer of wheat and peas, with a home at 315 Newell.
July 31, 1989–Craig M. and Carolyn J. Buchanan sold the property to Charles L. Damon, a single person, for $89,900. (#8904790)
The 1990 directory does not list Charles L. Damon.
June 19, 1990–Charles L. Damon, a single person, sold the property to Peter R. Armstrong and Abigail Bridges, husband and wife, for $95,000. (#9004180)
prepared by Michael W. Smith, 7/95