Legal Description (abbrev.):
60.6′ front on north side of Boyer Ave. in N.W. quarter of S.W. quarter of 21-7-36.
Title and Occupant History:
January 20, 1864–William H. and Elizabeth A. Patten, husband and wife, sold 80 acres in sections 20 and 21 of Township 7 North of Range 36 East : the Willamette Meridian to Henry P. Isaacs for $2000. (Deed Book D, Page 146, hereinafter 0/146; see also E/95)
December 19, 1899–Henry P. Isaacs recorded the plat of Isaacs’ 3rd Addition to the City of Walla Walla. An amended plat was recorded May 1, 1900. (73/636)
Henry P. Isaacs started several flour mills in eastern Washington, in Idaho. and in Oregon: 1858 in Ft. Colville, 1862 in Walla Walla, 1864 in Boise, 1865 in Middleton, Idaho, 1883 in Prescott, and 1898 in Wasco, Oregon. W. D. Lyman referred to him as “the foremost miller on Pacific coast: in his History of Walla Walla County (W. H. Lever, Publisher, 1901, p. 313). He also successfully experimented with almost every variety of fruit and vegetable grown in the northern temperate zone and was a “booster” for Walla Walla, encouraging rail lines in the valley and introducing the bill that established the state penitentiary in Walla Walla. He died July 14, 1900.
August 6, 1904–The H. P. Isaacs co., a corporation, sold the property in the legal description to Nellie Gilliam Day for $500. (95/76, see also 81/121 and 90/546 for the Isaacs family transfers of properties to the H. P. Isaacs Co. and 114/629 for a quit claim deed by the company and family members to Nellie Gilliam Day, December 4, 1908)
Nellie Gilliam Day is listed in the 1905-10 city directories as having a home at 415 E. Main; she is listed in the 1907-10 directories as the society editor of The Evening Bulletin.
December 11, 1908–Nellie Gilliam Day, a widow, sold the property to A. C. Ebbert for the listed consideration of $10. (114/629)
A. C. Ebbert is listed as having a barber and bath business at 12 N. 3rd in the 1909-10 directory. His home is listed as 811 Boyer.
Construction of the House: on p. 46 for the date of January 4, 1909. the 1907-1913 volume of building permits for the City of Walla Walla lists permit #354 issued to A. C. Ebert (sic) for the construction of a cottage at Boyer and Madison at a cost of $2250. The builder was Mr. Cox. (Whitman Archives)
April 30. 1910–A. C. and Martha E. Ebbert, husband and wife, sold the property to Herman F. Lange for $10 “and other valuable considerations.” (123/96)
The 1911 and 1914 directories list Herman R. Lange as the pastor of the German Methodist Episcopalian Church.
February 18, 1919–Herman F. and Lydia C. Lange, husband and wife, sold the property to J. W. Imlay for $4000. (146/110, see also 127/411)
The 1920 directory lists J. W. Imlay as the local agent of the Interior Warehouse Co.
August 29, 1963–Eva Pearl Luchte, formerly Eva Pearl Imlay, sold the property to Marvin L. and Ruth N. Ray, husband and wife, for $13,500. (Deed #450997. see also #250588)
The 1964 directory lists Marvin L. Ray as the assistant manager of the Washington State Employment Security Department.
November 27, 1967–Marvin L. and Ruth N. Ray sold the property to Robert D. and Roberta M. Shafer, husband and wife, for $14,250. (#490694)
The 1968 directory list Robert D. Shafer as a mechanic employed by the Continental Can Co.
August 26, 1974–Roberta M. Shafer, a single woman, sold the property to Brian D. and Lois R. Midles, husband and wife, for $18,000. (#539374)
The 1975 directory lists Brian D. Midles as an employee of Intermediate School District #123.
August 4, 1975–Brian D. and Lois R. Midles sold the property to Robert J. and M. Clare Carson, husband and wife, for $31,000. (#547090)
The 1976 directory lists Robert J. Carson as an assistant professor of Geology at Whitman College.
August II, 1977–Robert J. and M. Clare Carson sold the property to Dan R. and Kristine A. Gratner, husband and wife, for $42,900. (#567882)
The 1978 directory lists Dan Gratner as an employee of IBEW, Local 112 and Kristing Gratner as a self-employed potter.
January 17. 1980–Dan R. and Kristine A. Gratner sold the property to Emrys P. and Cynthia G. Thomas, husband and wife, for $50,000. (#8000746)
The 1981 directory lists Emrys P. Thomas as the minister of the First Congregational Church.
March 10. 1989–Cynthia G. Thomas sold the property to William C. and Terri L. Gilbert, husband and wife, for $49,900. (#8901544)prepared by Michael W. Smith, 8/95