Lot 15 in Block 2 of Brookside Park Addition to the City of Walla Walla, according to the official plat thereof of record in the office of the Auditor of Walla Walla County, Washington, in book C of plats at page 52.
Title and Occupant History:
January 20, 1864–William H. and Elizabeth A. Patten, husband and wife, sold 80 acres in Sections 20 and 21, Township 7 North,� Range 36 East of tile Willamette Meridian to Henry P. Isaacs for $2000. (Deed Book D, Page 146, hereinafter D/146, see also E/95)
Henry P. Isaacs started several flour mills in eastern Washington, in Idaho, and in eastern Oregon (1858 in Ft. Colville; 1862 in Walla Walla; 1864 in Boise; 1865 in Middleton, Idaho; 1883 in Prescott; and 1898 in Wasco, Oregon). W. D. Lyman referred to him as lithe foremost miller on the Pacific coast” in his History of Walla Walla County (W. H. Lever, publisher, 1901, p. 313). He also successfully experimented with almost every variety of fruit and vegetable grown in the northern temperate zone and was a “booster” for Walla Walla, encouraging rail lines in the valley and introducing the bill that established the state penitentiary in Walla Walla. He died July 14, 1900.
September 21, 1881–H. P. and Lucie Isaacs, husband and wife, leased 80 acres in Sections 20 and 21, Township 7 N., R. 36 E.W.M. to J. C. Isaacs for 25 years from September 21, 1881, for $10,000, to use the “subterranean” (sic) waters on and in the land “for the – purpose of supplying the City of Walla Walla and the inhabitants thereof with water.” (W/388)
June 23, 1894–Lucie Isaacs quit claim deeded all rights and interest in the above mentioned 80 acres to Henry P. Isaacs for the consideration of $1. (57/311)
August 2, 189B–H. P. and Lucie Isaacs deeded 6 & 7/mhs acres in the S.W. quarter of the N.W. quarter of Section 21, T. 7 N., R. 36 E.W.M., including the property, to the Odd Fellows Lodge of the State of Washington for the consideration of $1. (69/142, see also 69/139)
June 4, 1903–the Odd Fellows Lodge of the State of Washington quit claim deeded the above 6 7/8ths acres to Lucie Isaacs, et. al., for the consideration of $1. (87/554)
February 5, 1904–the heirs of H. P. Isaacs quit claim deeded the aforementioned 6 7/8ths acres to Lucie Isaacs, widow of H. P. Isaacs, for the consideration of $1. (911112. see also 81/124)
The Brookside Park Addition to the City of Walla Walla was platted in 1905 by Lucie Isaacs. (Plat Book C, Page 52)
January 12, 1906–Lucie Isaacs, a widow, sold lots 15 and 16 in Block 2 of Brookside Park Addition to Eloise Leonard Isaacs for the consideration of “love and affection and further, the sum of $1.00.11 (102/391)
Eloise Leonard Isaacs was the wife of Edwin S. Isaacs who was the manager of the H. P. Isaacs Co. In the city directories for 1907-1910 their home is listed at 548 University.
Construction of the House: E. S. Isaacs took out building permit #90 on March 14, 1908 for builder J. L. Cunningham to construct a 1 1/2 story frame cottage on lot 15 in block 2 of Brookside Park Addition at a cost of $2500. (Building Permit Book 1907-1913, page 16, Whitman College Archives) On April 8, 1916 Ralph Tuttle obtained building permit #2152 for builder Geo. Schriner to construct a garage at 210 Stanton at a cost of $150. (Building Permit Book 1913-17, page 74, Whitman College Archives)
April 4, 1913–Eloise Leonard Isaacs and Edwin S. Isaacs sold lot 15 in Block 2 to Ralph Tuttle for $5000. (131/190)
The 1914 city directory lists Ralph Tuttle as the proprietor of the Franklin Motor Car Co., E. Alder N.E. corner of Spokane, with a home at 210 Stanton.
April 10, 1919–Ralph H. and Hazel Tuttle. husband and wife, sold the property to Robert Wentsch for the listed consideration of $1. (Deed #99247)
The 1920 city directory lists Robert Wentsch as a partner in the Pantorium Dye Works, 7 N. 2nd, Cleaning, Pressing and Tailoring, and with a home at 210 Stanton.
February 8, 1945–Robert and Clara M. Wentsch, husband and wife, sold the property to Melvin D. and Dorothy E. Brunton, husband and wife, for $10 “and other valuable considerations. II (#337521)
The 1946 city directory lists Melvin D. Brunton as secretary �treasurer of Gardner & Co., Inc., 24-30 W. Main, the oldest department store in the state, dealing in clothing for men, women and children; home furnishings; home appliances; and groceries. His home is listed at 210 Stanton.
March 22, 1974–Melvin D. and Dorothy E. Brunton sold the property to Francis S. and Frances L. Walker, husband and wife, for $25,500. (#551230)
The 1975 city directory lists Francis S. Walker as an engineer at the Veterans Administration Hospital and Frances L. Walker as a purchasing agent for the Veterans Administration Hospital. Their home is listed as 210 Stanton.
December 30, 1975–Francis S. Walker quit claim deeded his interest in the property to Frances L. Walker for and in consideration of “Love and Affection.” (#551172)
January 12, 1976–Frances L Walker sold the property to Robert G. and Sallie Dee Cahill, husband and wife, for $39,000. (#551173)
The 1976 city directory lists Robert G. Cahill as a certified public accountant in the firm of Niemi, Holland and Scott with a home at 210 Stanton.
August 28, 1989–Robert G. and Sallie Dee Cahill sold the property to Gerald D. Matthews and Patricia Stanley Matthews for $61,900. (#8905586)
prepared by Michael W. Smith, 9/95