The following projects have received Walla Walla 2020 Architectural Awards in past years. The 1988-1995 awards were made the following year for projects completed in those years. The 1997 awards, labeled 1996-97, were for projects completed from 1996 through the March, 1997 awards ceremony. The 1998 awards were presented in March, 1998. Please note that additional properties receiving certificates of merit during these years are not listed.
1998 Architectural Awards:
- Washington School, renovation, restoration and creative re-use of historic structure for low income housing, Grand Prize
- 233 S. Park St., Mary Holloway, restoration, renovation, compatible addition, 1904 Drumheller House.
- 345 E. Birch, Lamont and Brenda Worden, restoration and distinctive painting of Cox house.
- YMCA, compatible new gymnasium addition and unifying paint job to the center on South Park St.
- 704 Catherine, Jeanne McMenemy and Wayne Chabre, restoration and distinctive painting.
- Ford of Walla Walla, landscaping on display lots on E. Rose.
- Whitman College, Public art: Jim Dine and Squire Broel sculptures placed on campus.
- El Sombrero Restaurant, public art: mural “La Serenata” by Victor Trejo on restaurant at 41 W. Oak.
- Baker Boyer Bank, exterior period reconstruction of 1869 Brechtel Building at 121 W. Main.
1996-97 Architectural Awards
- Green Park School, Clinton& Isaacs, Robert Broyles, architect, Leone & Kibler, contractor, renovation & restoration of 1905 school building with compatible addition, Grand Prize.
- Walla Walla Union Bulletin, lst & Poplar, Kettlesen Construction, contractors, compatible new addition in historic district.
- Clock Shop & Antique Co., 41 S. Palouse, Doug Traganowan, contractor, renovation & reuse of 1905 building.
- Carnegie Art Center, Palouse & Alder, Gillespie Roofing, contractor, restoration of roof of 1905 public library building.
- Shultz Group Communications, 2 S. First, Terry Porter, contractor, renovation of portion of upper floor of 1890 Bee Hive building as office space.
- Ancient Onion, 2 S. First, renovation of portion of upper floor of 1890 Bee Hive building as coffee house.
- Suttner Mansion, 216 N. Palouse, Douglas & Malinda Saturno, restoration& repair as offices.
- Mill Creek Bed& Breakfast, Rt. 4 Box 251 Mill Creek Rd., Greg & Vanessa Finch, renovation of Kibler Farmstead creamery & summer kitchen as bed & breakfast.
- U.S. Post Office, 2nd & Sumach, interior renovation & exterior painting to historic building.
- W.W.Community College, 500 Tausick Way, placement of outdoor sculptures by Mel Katz & Rafael Consuegra
- 233 N. Bellevue, Chris & Debbie Shaffer, Jon Saylor, architect, compatible addition to home.
- 531 Catherine, Mike Bryan, contractor, renovation, restoration, compatible addition to home.
- 253 Marcus, George & Kay Fenimore Smith, restoration & rehabilitation of Blalock home.
- 326 Newell, Dirk Nelson, renovation & landscaping of historic home.
- 208 N. Division, Rich & Riett Jacks, Jim Nostdal, contractor, compatible addition to home
1995 Architectural Awards
- Siegel-Adams Building, 129 W. Main, restoration & renovation of 1889 bank building as law office, Grand Prize.
- Canoe Ridge Winery, 1102 W. Cherry, Jon Saylor, architect, Ketelsen Construction, contractor, compatible addition to the historic W.W.ValleyRailway Building.
- Lackum Duckum, Whitman College, landscaping renewal of pond& environs.
- Baker Boyer Bank, 2d & Alder, drive thru facility as compatible addition to historic district.
- Luris Cope, re-siting of 6 houses from Green Park School expansion to Frankland Addition
- U.S. Post Office, handicapped entrance ramp as compatible addition to historic building.
- La Casita Restaurant, 428 Ash, Aztec murals by artist Victor Ayotl.
- Olde Town Transit Mural, 15 S. Spokane, Naimy Furniture warehouse, Jim Fritz artist.
- 205 Whitman, Kevin & Renae Davis, restoration & renovation of 1903 residence.
- 603 S. Third, interior renovation & exterior restoration of 1901 residence.
- 516 S. Division, Leigh Austin, exterior painting of 1893 Victorian home.
1994 Architectural Awards
- Die Brucke Building, lst & Main, Panco Inc., contractor, exterior restoration & interior renovation of 1890 Book Nook building as retail and residential space, Grand Prize.
- Paula Ray Gallery, 230 E. Main, Nostdahl Construction, contractor, renovation of 1904 building as art gallery & residence.
- McBride Building, lst & Poplar, rehabilitation & renovation of historic livery stable as offices.
- Shady Lawn Creamery, 711 N. Rose, rehabilitation & reuse of historic creamery as antique mall & coffee shop.
- Corps of Engineers, 3rd & Rose, new headquarters building as compatible new construction, with energy efficiency and tree-planting.
- Odd Fellows Facade, 116 E. Main, placement of facade of historic Odd Fellows Temple at Heritage Park by Blue Mt. Arts Alliance.
- Whitman College, placement of sculpture by Richard Beyer in Jewett Hall patio.
- Chamber of Commerce, Sumach & Colville, landscaping using downtown streetscape.
- 833 E. Tietan, Terry & Renee Porter, rehabilitation & reuse of 1886 Ponti House.
- 508 Lincoln, Aster Debeb, exterior painting of 1892 Osterman House.
1993 Architectural Awards
- Reynolds-Day Building, 6 E. Main, Building Dynamics, project manager, exterior restoration and interior renovation of 1874 building, Grand Prize.
- Harold Buildings, 12-16 North Second, Walter Porter, contractor, renovation and restoration of historic buildings.
- Stone Creek Inn, 720 Bryant, exterior painting of 1884 mansion of Gov. Miles C. Moore.
- Washington State Penitentiary, renovation of historic Tower No. 1. Cropp House, 403 E.Rose, Ross Family, renovation & restoration of 1900 residence as office.
- Garrison Middle School, 906 Chase, tree planting on street and parking lot.
- Port of Walla Walla, tree planting and landscaping at Walla Walla Airport.
- 637 Pleasant, Ikune Sawada, Japanese landscaping at rear of residence.
- 1316 Howard, Eric & Janet Rindal, renovation of 1920 Brooks residence.
1992 Architectural Awards
- Downtown Project &Trailhead (now Heritage) Park, Opp & Seibold& Building Dynamics, contractors, addition of trees and streetscape improvements, and creation of downtown park with mural art, landscaping & public facilities, Grand Prize
- Prentiss Hall, Whitman College, restoration, energy & water saving, and renovation of historic dormitory building.
- Discovery High, 343 S. Fourth, renovation& reuse of 1892 Labor Temple building.
- First Congregational Church, Palouse & Alder, Theron Smith architect, Building Dynamics, contractor, new atrium and fellowship hall as compatible additions to an historic church.
- K-Mart, exemplary landscaping & tree planting in parking lot renovation. Port of Walla Walla, 2nd & Sumach parking lot, landscaping incorporating downtown streetscape elements.
- Bonneville Power Administration, 1520 Kelly Place, energy efficiency in new construction.
- Super One Foods, 710 S. Ninth, energy efficiency in new construction of a food store.
- 392 Catherine, David & Lorie Dyer, restoration & renovation of 1873 residence.
- 125 Newell, James & Kerry McEwen, renovation & restoration of 1904 Ludwig home.
- 756 Bryant, Bernie & Pam Lang, refurbishing of house & grounds of historic Robert & Elsie Moore home and reconstruction of two outbuildings.
- 20 S. Blue, Jon Martin, compatible addition to an historic residence.
- 803 Valencia, Sandra & Dennis Cannon, imaginative addition to 1917 residence, compatible with historic neighborhood.
1991 Architectural Awards
- The Liberty Theater, 54 E. Main, William Pancake, contractor, restoration & renovation of historic theater, Grand Prize.
- Center for Sharing, 103 E. Main, renovation, energy efficiency & restoration of historic Penney’s building.
- Walla Walla Valley Railway, 13th & Cherry, restoration of historic roundhouse.
- Jacobi’s Express, 416 N. Second, installation & renovation of vintage railway car as compatible addition to historic building.
- The Turf, 10 N. 2nd, interior renovation of historic premises.
- Coffey Communications, 1505 Business One Circle, College Place Heating and Jim Wagner& Sons, contractors, energy efficiency and landscaping in new commercial construction,
- Whitman College, new system to recycle all heating & cooling water for irrigation.
- Rotary Club, addition of needed landscaping at Dalles Military Road& Highway 125.
- Walla Walla Foundry, 405 Woodlawn, addition of needed landscaping to foundry site.
- 207 Cherry, Gary & Linda Wasemiller, restoration of historic 1882 Butler residence.
- 1558 School Ave., Daniel & Kathy Miller, Jerry Close contractor, compatible addition to historic residence.
- 1243 Reser, Lynn & Carol Teglund, conservation in construction of underground residence.
- 1100 Snider Drive, Larry & Terrie Aamodt, Paul Abenroth, contractor, energy efficiency in new residential construction.
1990 Architectural Awards
- Green Gables Inn, 922 Bonsella, restoration & renovation of 1905 residence as bed & breakfast inn, Grand Prize
- Drumheller Building, Second & Alder, College Place Heating, contractor, energy efficiency in new heating & cooling system for 1904 building.
- Crawford Park, 4th & Main, creation of needed landscaping & public space.
- Key Technology, 150 Avery, landscaping & tree-planting on new industrial property.
- 336 N.E. Evans, Marvin & Natalie Bischoff, Glenn Blackwood contractor, conservation & energy efficiency in new residential construction.
1989 Architectural Awards
- Pioneer Title Company, 5 E. Main, Jim Nostdal, contractor, restoration and renovation of 1876 building, Grand Prize.
- Valley Church, 549 Newell, renovation & reuse of historic church building.
- 28 W. Chestnut, Kim & Ron Julian, exterior painting of Victorian residence.
- 1197 Bryant, Vernon& Evelyn Filan, energy efficiency, new residential construction
1988 Architectural Awards
- The Depot, 416 N. Second, rehabilitation and renovation of 1914 Northern Pacific Railway station, Grand Prize.
- Snyder-Crecelius Paper Company, 6th and Main, Building Dynamics, contractor, interior and exterior refurbishing of the 1909 Interurban Railway Depot.
- Blue Banjo-Crescent DrugBuilding, 4th and Main, Clarence Reynolds, painting contractor, for fine detail painting on exterior of 1889 building.
- Carriage House, Cascade Natural Gas, 324 W. Rose, restoration of historic building.
- Walla Walla Foundry, 405 Woodlawn, rehabilitation of old Walla Walla Iron Works.
- Memorial Building, WhitmanCollege, Building Dynamics, Contractor, energy efficiency & historic preservation in complete window replacement.
- 1525 E. Sumach, Roger & Carrie Davis, W.W.College Industrial Technology Dept., contractor, energy efficiency in construction of new residence.