Southeast quarter of the southwest quarter and the south half of the southeast quarter of Section 21 Township 07 Range 36E, WM, excepting the 44 acres belonging to the race track.
1865: April 1; Samuel Phinney purchased 160 acres from the U. S. Government in Section 21, Township 7N, Range 36E, including the south half of the southeast quarter, the southeast quarter of the southwest quarter and the northeast quarter of the southeast quarter. This included the present boundaries of Pioneer Park and the present location of Pioneer Middle School. The land patent was recorded at the Vancouver land office. The first local transaction in the Walla Walla land office (and therefore the earliest deed in Walla Walla court house records) was in 1878 when Charles S. and Nancy J. Bush sold some 20 parcels including this one to Christian Maier for $11,060.
1881: May 25; Christian and Mary Ann Maier, husband and wife, sold these same parcels to J. C. Isaacs for $26,860.
1881: September 21; Joshua C. Isaacs, a bachelor, leased these parcels to Walla Walla Water Company, of which H. P. Isaacs was president, for $100,000.
1883: May 29; Joshua C. Isaacs gave a warranty deed to Harry P. Isaacs for these parcels plus another10 parcels for $20,000.
1886: September 11; Joshua C. Isaacs gave a right of way to the Walla Walla Water Company.
1886: September 14; Joshua C. Isaacs gave a warranty deed to E. L. Eastham on seven parcels, including this, for $12,000.
1886: September 15; Henry P. and Lucie Isaacs gave a warranty deed back to Joshua C. Isaacs including all 30 parcels for $20,000.
1887: March15; E. L. and Clara Eastham gave a warranty deed to the Walla Walla Water Company for the seven parcels for $12,000.
1894: March 14; the Walla Walla Water Company, W. W. Baker, President, leased 20 parcels to E. L. Waldron, excepting springs, reservoir, house, barn and sheds.
1897: December 1; the Walla Walla Water Company, W. W. Langdon, President, sold this property (southeast quarter of the southwest quarter and the south half of the southeast quarter of Section 21 Township 07 Range 36E, WM, excepting the 44 acres belonging to the race track) to the City of Walla Walla for $60,000. John W. Landon was the notary on the transaction. The transaction measured the property in rods and chains, marked by a rock at the northeast corner. There were numerous rights and reservations concerning various deeds. It was also subject to a district court decree of John Bryant vs. Walla Walla Water Company, right to maintain water mains across property of Saint Mary Hospital and Saint Vincent Academy on Birch Street to Sixth and on Sixth to Poplar as per a 1887 agreement, as well as rights to maintain mains across the Eureka Mill property owned by the Dement Brothers. The City of Walla Walla also assumed $92,500 of indebtedness.
1915: June 19; an agreement was signed between the City and the State of Washington to construct and maintain a fish hatchery. M. Toner was mayor at that time.
1934: February 14; the City of Walla Walla signed a quit claim deed to present legal owners of all affected lands regarding water rights and other terms of the original purchase in 1897.
1982-3: PP&L received right-of-way easements from the City of Walla Walla.
Brief Additional History:
1900: Park Commission formed.
1901: Walla Walla City Council approved use of this city property as a park.
- Jacob Betz, mayor, brewery owner
- George Babcock, architect
- John Brewer, farmer
- Edwin S. Isaacs
- Marshall Martin
- John F. McLean
- Albert Niebergall, owner of The Office tavern at 114 Main Street
- Fred M. Pauly, owner of Pauly’s Cigar Store at Fourth and Main Street
1903: June 25; Walla Walla Union story entitled “Build in City Park” about the Red Cross’s Spanish American War monument (now at Alder & Palouse Streets park) to be located in the city park (now Pioneer)unless the Stubblefield Home for Indigent Widows and Orphans was located there.
1904-5: Civil War cannon located in this future park.
1908: John Langdon, president of the Park Commission, presented a plan for the park and fund raising was started.
1908: September 6; formal opening of the park.
1909: Bandstand, fountain, boats, zoo and playground established.
1931: Renamed Pioneer Park.Mary E. Meeker Walla Walla 2020 Research Service PO Box 1222, Walla Walla WA 99362 August, 2003