Lot 8 in Block 3 of the Amended Plat of Isaacs’ Third Addition to the City of Walla Walla, Washington.
Title and Occupant History:
December 30, 1861 – John McComb sold 80 acres in the N.W. quarter of the S.E quarter and in the S.E quarter of the N.E quarter of Section 20, Township 7 North of Range 36 East of the Willamette Meridian and the west half of the S.W. quarter of Section 21, Township 7 N., R. 36 E.W.M. (also 80 acres) to W. H. Patton for $2000. (Deed Book B. Page 266. hereinafter B/266)
January 20, 1864 – William H. and Elizabeth H. Patton, husband and wife, sold 80 acres in the S.W. quarter of Section 21, Township 7 N., R. 36 EW.M. to Henry P. Issacs for $2000. (0/146. see also E/95 and 77/258) Henry P. Isaacs started several flour mills in eastern Washington, in Idaho, and in Oregon (1858 in Ft. Colville; 1862 in Walla Walla; 1864 in Boise; 1865 in Middleton, Idaho; 1883 in Prescott; and 1898 in Wasco, Oregon). W. D. Lyman referred to him as lithe foremost miller on the Pacific coast” in his History of Walla Walla County (W. H. Lever, Publisher. 1901. p. 313). He also successfully experimented with almost every variety of fruit and vegetable grown in the northern temperate zone and was a “booster” for Walla Walla. encouraging rail lines in the valley and introducing the bill that established the state penitentiary in Walla Walla. He died July 14. 1900.
September II, 1886 – H. P. Isaacs granted the Walla Walla Water Co., a corporation, the right to take water from his land in the N.W. quarter of the S.W. quarter of Section 21 for $1 “and other valuable considerations.” (36/605)
June 23, 1894 – Lucie Isaacs quit claimed and conveyed her interest in land in the N.W. quarter of the S.W. quarter of Section 21 to Henry P. Isaacs for the listed consideration of $1. (57/311)
April 7, 1896 – Henry P. and Lucie Isaacs, husband and wife, sold land on which the North Pacific Mill II All was located and the mill race, right of way and water rights to Miles C. Moore, W. W. Baker and H. C. Baker, trustees, for $1 and other valuable consideration. (61/188, see also 61/103)
November 28, 1899 – W.W. Baker, H.C. Baker and Miles C. Moore, trustees conveyed the land on which the former flour mill of H. P. Isaacs known as the North Pacific Mill “A” was located and the mill race, right o.f way and water rights to the City of Walla Walla, a municipal corporation, for $1. (72/222)
December 19, 1899 – Henry P. Isaacs recorded the plat of Isaacs’ Third Addition to the City of Walla Walla. An amended plat was filed May 17, 1900. (73/636, see also Book C of plats, pages 17 and 19, in the office of the Walla Walla County Auditor)
April 2, 1901 – City of Walla Walla Ordinance No. 740 was filed, specifying the route waters flowing from the Isaacs Mill Race should follow for city purposes. The ordinance also referred to the right of way and right of access. (77/309)
April 6, 1901 – The heirs of H. P. Isaacs sold Lot 8 in Block 3 of Isaacs Third Addition to Geo. H. Chamberlin for $650. (77/331) George H. Chamberlin is listed in the 1900-01 city directory as the secretary of the Chamberlin Lumber Co. with a residence at 421 Lincoln. (see also attached biographical article)
Construction of the House: The County Assessor lists the year built as 1910. The evidence of the 1901 purchases of lot 8 and of the city directories indicate that the house was built in 1901 by George H. Chamberlin in 1901. The property was purchased in April of 1901 for $650 and sold in September of 1901 for $3500. The first listing at the address is in the 1902 directory.
September 25, 1901 – George H. and Hattie E. Chamberlin, husband and wife, sold lot 8 in block 3 to A. M. Cation for $3500. (75/590) Alexander M. Cation is listed in the 1902 directory as the secretary and manager of the Walla Walla Lumber Co. with a residence at 547 Washington.
November 2, 1901 – A. M. and Nannie Cation, husband and wife, sold lot 8 to Frank Villa, Sr., for $3100. (80/521) The 1902 directory list Frank Villa. Jr., as the proprietor of the Washington Fruit and Produce Co. with a residence at the northeast corner of Clinton and Boyer Avenues. Frank Villa, Sr., resided in Oregon.
September 4, 1903 – Frank Villa, Sr., and Marie Villa, husband and wife, sold lot 8 to Netta Holland for $1 “and other valuable consideration. II (89/11) Percy C. Holland is listed in the 1904 directory as a travelling salesman with a home at 603 Boyer.
April 27, 1908 – P.C. Holland and Netta H. Holland, husband and wife, sold the property to Thomas J. Drumheller for $4700. (110/577) The 1909-10 city directory lists Thomas J. Drumheller as the secretary-treasurer of the Drumheller Co. with a home at 603 Boyer.
October 21, 1918 – Thomas J. Drumheller, a widower. individually and as executor of the will of Nelle M. Drumheller, deceased, formerly his wife, sold the property to Brooks A. Taylor for the listed consideration of $1. (147/344) The directories for 1916-18 list Brooks A. Taylor at 23 Whitman, no occupation is listed. There is no 1919 directory; the 1920 directory does not list him.
October 24, 1919 – Brooks A. and Gertrude Taylor, husband and wife, sold the property to Adolph G. and Jennie A. Kamm, husband and wife, for $10 “and other good and valuable considerations.” (Deed #102951) The 1920 directory list Adolph G. Kamm as the superintendant of the Oregon-Washington Railroad and Navigation Co. (Union Pacific System) with a home at 603 Boyer. The Kamms are listed at 603 Boyer through 1926-27. There is no 1928 directory: from 1929-33 Mrs. Gertrude B. Ferguson is listed as living at 603 Boyer. There is no 1934 directory; the 1935 directory lists Arthur M. Applegate living at 603 Boyer.
October 3, 1936 – Charles R. Kamm (who inherited the property) and Sue A. Kamm, husband and wife, sold the property to Arthur M. and Clare M. Applegate, husband and wife, for $1 “and other valuable considerations.” (#223767) The 1937 directory lists Arthur M. Applegate as having a home at 603 Boyer; the 1935 directory lists him as the manager of Strauss & Co.. Inc., grain dealers.
April 14. 1938 – Arthur M. Applegate conveyed the property to Clare M. Applegate in consideration “of the love and affection between himself and his wife, the grantee named herein.” (#233824) The 1939 directory lists Clare M. Applegate (widow of Arthur M.) with a home at 603 Boyer.
January 28, 1957 – Clare M. Applegate, a widow. sold the property to Daniel A. and Geraldine C. Reeder, husband and wife, for $10,000. (#442503) The 1958 directory lists Daniel A. Reeder as the owner of Dan Reeder’s Hobby Shop with a home at 603 Boyer.
October 10, 1977 – Daniel A. and Geraldine Reeder, husband and wife, sold the property to Stanley L. and Roberta R. Sturgill, husband and wife” for $35,000. (#569523) The 1978 directory lists Stanley L. Sturgill as an employee at the Washington State Penitentiary with a residence at 603 Boyer.
August 9. 1990 – A. L. Lorang, as the personal representative of the estate of Stanley Sturgill, deceased, distributed lot 8 in block 3, of the estate assets, to Ramona Lee Taylor, formerly Ramona Lee Sturgill. (#9005502) The directories for 1990-92 list Ramona Leigh as the occupant of 603 Boyer, with no occupation listed; there is no listing under the name(s) listed in the deed as owner.
June 19, 1992 – Solomon Taylor, Jr., quit claimed all interest and rights in the property to Ramona Lee Taylor, also known as Ramona Lee Sturgill, “for and in consideration of love and affection. II (#9205503)
July 13, 1992 – Ramona Lee Taylor. a.k.a. Ramona Lee Sturgill, sold lot 8 in block 3 to William S. and Susan Jean Warren for $60,000. The 1992 directory lists Bill Warren with ~ residence at 403 E. Rose, no occupation is listed.
June 27, 1995 – William Shealor Warren and Susan Jean Warren, husband and wife, sold the property to Ruth Ann Watts1Paillotet and Paul Milo Pailliotet. wife and husband. and James H. Peters and Ruth A. Peters, husband and wife, for $129,500. (#9505944)Prepared by Michael W. Smith. 10/95