Legal Description (abbrev.):
Lot 1 and east 40 feet of lot 2 in Block 13 of Roberts’ Addition to the City of Walla Walla.
Title and Occupant History:
January 20, 1871–A. B. and Martha E. Roberts, husband and wife, platted Roberts’ Addition to the City of Walla Walla. (Plat Book A, Pages 21 & 22, Walla Walla County Auditor’s Office, Walla Walla County Courthouse)
A. B. Roberts was a pioneer orchardist who brought some of the first grafted fruit trees to the Walla Walla Valley when he arrived in 1859.
July 8, 1871–A. B. and M. E. Roberts sold lots 1, 2, & 3 in Block 13 of Roberts’ Addition to William M. Hendershott for $150. (Deed Book H, Page 423, hereinafter H/423)
August 5, 1872–William M. Hendershott sold lots 1, 2, & 3 in Block 13 to William Harkness for $275. (K/43)
November 19, 1873–William Harkness sold an undivided two-thirds of lots 1, 2, & 3 in Block 13 to Josephus M. Moore and Ebbert H. Chapman for the recorded consideration of $1. (Ll85)
January 6, 1877-E. H. and Mary E. Chapman, husband and wife, and J. M. and Louisa Moore, husband and wife, sold their interests in several properties, including lots 1, 2, & 3 in Block 13, to Martin Weller and William Harkness for $100. (0/251)
July 3, 1877–Martin Weller and William and Mary Harkness, husband and wife, sold lots 1, 2, & 3 in Block 13 to James Haskins for $240. (0/413)
November 28, 1877 –James Haskins sold lots 1, 2, & 3 in Block 13 to John Snodgrass for $300. (P/115)
The 1880 city directory lists John Snodgrass as a partner in Schuler & Snodgrass, boot and shoe manufacturers, north side of Main between Third and Fourth with a residence on the north side of Main between Fourth and Fifth.
March 1, 1878–John Snodgrass sold lots 1. 2, & 3 in Block 13 to Elizabeth J. Blanchard for $350. (P/428)
The 1880 directory lists her husband, A. A. Blanchard, as a farmer with a resident on the south side of Dr. Newell between Catherine and Roberts; the 1883-84 directory lists the residence as 304 Dr. Newell.
August 12, 1887 –John F. and Sarah E. Boyer, husband and wife; Max and A. A. Baumeister, husband and wife; A. A. and E. J. Blanchard, husband and wife; Samuel and Catharine Johnson, husband and wife; and John L. and Adna Sharpstein, husband and wife, sold the City of Walla Walla a strip of land 16 feet wide through Block 13 of Roberts’ Addition from Catherine to Palouse–said alley to be opened on or before April I, 1888–for the recorded consideration of $1.
July 25, 1889–Elizabeth J. and Albert Blanchard, wife and husband, sold lot I plus part of lot 2 (142 feet by 150 feet) to John L. Sharpstein and Samuel B. Sweeney for $2600. (43/244)
The 1892 city directory lists John L. Sharpstein at a residence on Palouse near Dr. Newell; the 1900-02 directories list him at 384 S. Palouse. He was the son of Judge Benjamin L. Sharpstein (see attached biography) and was in partnership with him, and later with his brother Frank, in the firm of Sharpstein & Sharpstein. Samuel B. Sweeney is not in the 1889 or 1892 city directories; the 1893-94 directory list him as a grain dealer located in the Rees-Winans Building (northeast corner of 2nd & Main) with a residence at 315 Dr. Newell.
November 16, 1896–Samuel B. and Adna F. Sweeney, husband and wife, sold their interests in several properties, including an undivided one-half interest in the 142′ x 150′ in Block 13 to The First National Bank of Walla Walla for $4000. (62/94)
April 28, 1900–The First National Bank of Walla Walla sold an undivided one-half interest in lot 1 plus the east 40 feet of lot 2 in Block 13 to John L. Sharpstein for $1000. (73/586)
June 1, 1900–An agreement was made by J. L. Sharpstein and wife with Herman Krack to sell Mr. Krack the property in the legal description if he agreed to pay $2500, with $150 down and $100 on August 1, 1900, and $50 every 3 months thereafter at 7% interest. (74/260)
The 1900-nl lists two Herman Kracks, both bookkeepers, one at 226 Newell and one at 304 Newell.
January 16, 1901–J. L. and Adna Sharpstein sold the property in the legal description to B. L. Sharpstein for $100. (80/224)
May 4, 1903–Herman Krack, unmarried, quit claimed and conveyed all interest in the property to B. L. Sharpstein for $100. (87/385)
May 2, 1904–B. L. and Sarah J. Sharpstein, husband and wife, sold the property to Frank B. Sharpstein for $2000. (110/208)
The city directory of 1904 shows Frank Sharpstein living with his parents, Benjamin and Sarah Sharpstein, at 365 Catherine St.; the 1905 directory lists him at Newell corner of Palouse. By 1904 he had joined the firm of Sharpstein & Sharpstein with offices in the Baker-Boyer Bank Building.
Building of the House: the above sale and directory listing indicate that Frank B. Sharpstein built the house in 1904; this is supported by the price of the lot which the 1900-1904 transactions show in the range of $2000 and by the $6,529.50 sale price in 1907. The county assessor lists 1901 as the year built.
October 24, 1907–Frank B. and Minnie M. Sharpstein, husband and wife, sold the property to Annie Ennis for $6,529.50. (123/15)
Annie Ennis is not listed in the directories for 1908-12.
March 3, 1910–An agreement was made by Annie Ennis, a widow, to sell the property to John E. Cox for $7000, with $600 down and $50/month beginning April 1, 1910. The premises were to be insured for at least $2000, and the property would revert to Mrs. Ennis is the payments and covenants were not fulfilled. (122/522)
The 1910-11 directory list John E. Cox as a travelling salesman living at 402 S. Palouse; he is not listed in the 1911-12 directory.
April 2, 1912–Annie E. Ennis, a widow, quit claimed her interest in the property to the Baker-Boyer National Bank for the recorded consideration of $1. (125/88)
September 20. 1913–The Baker-Boyer National Bank released and quit claimed all right, title, and interest in the property to Matt G. Ennis for the recorded consideration of $1. (132/563)
The 1912-13 directory lists Matt G. Ennis as a farmer� with a home at 1049 Isaacs.
November 21, 1913–Matt G. Ennis, executor of the estate of Annie E. Ennis, deceased, sold the property to William Bowe for $5707. (131/367)
The 1914 directory lists William Bowe as a farmer with a home at 419 Chase Ave.
December 20, 1921–William and Elizabeth Bowe, husband and wife, sold the property to Frank W. Tierney for $4000. (Deed #121555)
The 1921-22 directory list Frank W. Tierney as the president� manager of Tierney-Toner Co., farm machinery, autos, gas engines, etc.-�Poplar southeast corner 2nd–with a home at 404 S. Palouse.
November 14, 1931–Frank W. Tierney quit claim deeded the property to Nellie M. Tierney for the consideration of: “Love and Affection with he has and bears towards his wife, Nellie M. Tierney, and for the purpose of making her a gift.� (#212571)
The 1914 directory lists Nellie M. Tierney as the secretary-treasurer of the Tierney-Toner Co. with a residence at 404 S. Palouse.
February 27, 1935–in a Declaration of Homestead, Nellie M. Tierney announced to The Public that she had maintained a home at 404 S. Palouse for 25 years and that the house currently had a cash value of $7500 with a mortgage of $6200. (#212572)
April 6, 1950–Nellie M. Tierney, a single person and the widow of Frank W. Tierney, sold the property to Petronilla M. Bocarde for the consideration of $10 and “Love and affection.” (#331517)
No Bocardes are listed in the 1951-52 directory.
July 20, 1950–Petronilla M. and George Bocarde, wife and husband, sold the property to Emory O. and Jene M. King, husband and wife, for $20,000. (#378843)
The 1951-52 directory lists Emory O. King as a physician with an office at 3 W. Alder, foom 332, and a residence at 404 S. Palouse.
July 31, 1961–Emory O. and Jene M. King sold the property to Jasper C. and . Sally Freda Havens, husband and wife, for $21,500. (#476771)
The 1963 city directory lists the Rev. Jasper C. Havens as the minister of the Central Christian Church with a home at 404 S. Palouse.
January 18, 1972–Jasper C. and Sally Freda Havens sold the property to Keith E. and Kathryn L. Krebs, husband and wife, for the recorded consideration of $10 and “other valuable consideration.” (#519079)
prepared by Michael W. Smith, 8/96