Abbreviated: Commencing at a point (32 feet North of the S.E. corner of Block 9 of Reed’s Addition, measure along the East line of said block, thence North 70 feet, thence West 126 feet, thence South 70 feet, thence East 126 feet to the point of the beginning.
August 10, 1876 – Isaac and Cynthia J. Reed, husband and wife, recorded a “Right of Way” Deed granting to Sewall Truax the “right to lay, keep, maintain and repair a water pipe… across the S.W. ¼ of the S.W. ¼ of Section 21 Township 7 N., of Range 36 E.” (Deed Book N, Page 371, hereinafter N/371)
November 2, 1878 – Isaac and Cynthia J. Reed platted Reed’s Addition to the City of Walla Walla. (Walla Walla County Courthouse, Walla Walla Country Auditor, Plat Book A. Page 56)
April 24, 1884 – Sewall and Sarah E. Truax, husband and wife, transferred “all rights granted by” the right of way recorded by the Reeds to the City Water Co. of Walla Walla, a corporation (32/477)
May 1, 1880 – Isaac N. and Cynthia J. Reed recorded an “Agreement for Deed” with W.B. Coyle, who agreed to pay $800 ($200 down and $50 every 3 months for the first year and $33 1/3 each month the second year until the $800 plus interest at 10% per annum was paid) for the following property: begin at a point on the N. line of Dr. Newell St. 300 feet easterly from the S.W. corner of Block 9 of Reed’s Addition, thence Northerly 288 feet to S. line of Lincoln St., thence Easterly along S. line of Lincoln St. 92 feet more or less, thence Southerly 288 feet to N. line Dr. Newell St., thence Westerly along the N. line of Dr. Newell St. 95 feet, more or less, to the place of beginning. (48/85)
May 23, 1891 – Willard B. Coyle quit claimed all rights and interest in the property described above to Mrs. Sarah A. Coyle for $500 (49/221)
July 15, 1891 – Isaac N. and Cynthia J. Reed sold their interest in the above property to Sarah A. Coyle for $800 (48/436)
October 20, 1891 – Sarah A. and W.F. Coyle, wife and husband, sold the above property to Frank M. Shelton for $1950. (48/436)
October 31, 1891 – I. N. and Cynthia J. Reed deeded Frank M. Shelton the following property for $800: beginning at a point 240 feet East of the N.W. corner of Block 9 in Reed’s Addition, run Easterly along the S. line of Lincoln St. 60 feet, thence Southerly 288 feet to the N. line of Dr. Newell St., thence Westerly 60 feet, thence Norhterly 288 feet to the place of beginning. (48/453)
May 12, 1903 – Frank M. Shelton, an unmarried man, deeded to August Lonneker the Easterly half of Block 9 of Reed’s Addition, “Being the same property conveyed to the grantor by Coyle and I.N. Reed, and recorded in Book 48 of Deed Records of said County.” The consideration was $3700. (85/490) August Lonneker is listed in the 1904 city directory as a teamster residing at 835 Newell.
February 23, 1909 – August and Sophie Lonneker, husband and wife, sold “all the East half of Block 9 in Reed’s Addition” to T.J. Ennis for $9000. (111/577) T.J. Ennis is listed in the 1909-10 city directory as the president of Drumheller & Ennis, Inc. dealers in real estate, insurance and loans located at 13 W. Main and with home at 228 Newell.
January 7 1910 – T.J. and Mary M. Ennis, husband and wife, deeded to John C. Hurspool the following property: beginning 78 feet South of the N.E. corner of Lincoln and Division Sts., thence S. 78 feet, thence West 126 feet, thence N. 78 feet, thence East 78 feet to the point of beginning [the 78 feet could’ve been an error or could have been adjusted before the next recorded sale]. The consideration was $1600. (121/116) The 1911 city directory lists John C. Hurspool as a lawyer in the firm of Cain & Hurspool with offices 1-2-3 in the Stencel Building and with a home at 802 S. Palouse. The 1915 directory lists him with a home at 310 S. Division. The directories from 1915 to 1952 list him as a lawyer (the firm names and offices change) with his home at 310 S. Division. In 1931, Elmer H. Storie, the resident manager of Tum-A-Lum Lumber Co., is listed as living at 310 S. Division.
Building of the House:
The Walla Walla County Assessor’s records incorrectly list the date built as 1910. J.C. Hurspool filed building permit #1759 on April 23, 1914 for a dwelling to be built by C.A. Tompkins on a location between Lincoln and Newell Streets at a cost of $4500. (Building Permit Book 1913-1917, Whitman College Archives) This permit date together with the city directory listing in 1915, suggest that the house was erected in 1914.
November 29, 1951 – the will of John C. Hurspool, who died on November 3, 1951 at the age of 33, was filed for probate. The bulk of his estate including the 310 S. Division property was inherited by his daughters Courtney Hurspool who lived in Los Angeles and Evelyn H. McFadden who lived in Seattle. (Superior Court Case No. 38092, Walla Walla Courthouse, Superior Court Clerks Office)
April 21, 1953 – Courtney Hurspool and Evelyn H. McFadden sold the property in the legal description to Harry E. and Vilene Jean Ringhand, husband and wife, for the recorded consideration of $10. (Deed #363099) The 1953 city directory lists Harry E. Ringhand as a printer employed by the Walla Walla Union-Bulletin and with home at 310 S. Division.
January 20, 1959 – Harry E. and Vilene Jean Ringhand sold the property to Gerald F. and Arin A. Butler, husband and wife, for the recorded consideration of $10. (#409185) Gerald F. Butler is not listed in the city directories for 1958-60.
November 25, 1959 – Gerald F. and Ann A. Butler sold the property to Robert O. and Jean L. Benson, husband and wife, for the recorded consideration of $10, a mortgage was assumed. (#416490) Robert O. Benson is listed in the 1960 directory as an attorney employed by the U.S. Corps of Engineers with a home at 310 S. Division.
May 31, 1968 – Jean L. Benson, who received the property in a divorce settlement in 1963, sold the property to John I. and Jo Ann K. Christiansen, husband and wife, for the recorded consideration of $10 and other valuable consideration.” (494631)