Lot 3 in Block 2 of Brookside Park Additon to the City of Walla Walla, according to the official plat thereof of record in the office of the Auditor of Walla Walla County, Washington, in book C of plats at page 52.
Title and Occupant History:
May 23, 1863–John Haley sold 26 and 81/100ths acres in the S. W. quarter of the N.W. quarter of Section 21, Township 7 N., Range 36 East of the Willamette Meridian, including the property, to William H. Patten and Elizabeth A. Patten, husband and wife, for $100. (Deed Book C, Page 112-�hereinafter C/112)
January 20, 1864–William H. and Elizabeth A. Patten sold 80 acres in Sections 20 and 21, Township 7 N., Range 36 E.W.M. to Henry P. Isaacs for $2000. (0/146, see also E/95)
Henry P. Isaacs started several flour mills in eastern Washington, Idaho. and Oregon (1858 in Ft. Colville, 1862 in Walla Walla, 1864 in Boise, 1865 in Middleton, 10, 1883 in Prescott, and 1898 in Wasco, OR). W. D. Lyman referred to him as lithe foremost miller on the Pacific coast” in his History of Walla Walla County (W. H. Lever, Publisher, 1901, p 313). He also successfully experimented with almost every variety of fruit and vegetable grown in the northern temperate zone and was a “booster” for Walla Walla, encouraging rail lines in the valley and introducing the bill that established the state penitentiary in Walla Walla. He died July 14, 1900.
August 2, 1898–H. P. Isaacs and Lucie Isaacs, husband and wife, deeded 6 & 7/8ths acres in the S.W. quarter of the N.W. quarter of Section 21, Township 7 N., Range 36 E.W.M., including the property, to the Odd Fellows Lodge of the State of Washington for $1. (69/142, see also 69/139)
June 4, 1903–the Odd Fellows Lodge of the State of Washington quit claim deeded the above 6 7/8ths acres to Lucie Isaacs, et. at, for $1. (87/554)
February 5, 1904–the heirs of H. P. Isaacs quit claim deeded the aforementioned 6 7/8ths acres to Lucie Isaacs, widow of H. P. Isaacs, for $1. (91/112) 1905–the Brookside Park Addition to the City of Walla Walla was platted by Lucie Isaacs. (Walla Walla County Auditor, plat book C, page 52) August 3. 1909–an indenture was made between Lucie Isaacs and W. H. Jones whereby Jones would build a dwelling house for Isaacs and receive lots 3 and 4 in Block 2 of Brookside Park Addition in lieu of payment. (117/32)
November 10, 1909–Lucie Isaacs sold lots 3 and 4 in Block 2 of Brookside Park Addition to W. H. Jones. This completed the transaction noted above. (112/449)
William H. Jones is listed as a carpenter in Polk’s Walla Walla City & County Directories of 1909-10 and 1910-11, but never is listed as living on Fulton St.
May 12, 1910–W. H. Jones and Ellen V. Jones, husband and wife, sold lot 3 in Block 2 to John W. Cookerly and Mattie C. Cookerly, husband and wife, for $5500. (121/568)
John W. Cookerly in listed in Polk’s 1909-10 Directory as the president of The Cookerly Undertaking Co. with a residence in Tacoma. Washington. He is listed in Polk’s 1910-11 Directory as a partner in the Dimmitt-Cookerly Real Estate & Investment Co. residing at 211 Fulton and in the directories of 1911-12 and 1914 as the president of Cookerly -Cantonwine Co., undertakers at 7 1/2 51st, and as residing at 211 Fulton.
Construction of the House: The sale price of $5500 six months after Jones paid $2500 for two lots (lot 3 was sold April 9, 1910 for $6500) together with the fact that Jones built houses indicate that he probably built the houses on lots 3 and 4 in 1909 and/or 1910. His contract with Lucie Isaacs called for a residence to be built between August 10, 1909 and November 15, 1909. He could well have started one or both of the houses on lots 3 and 4 upon completion of that contract. The county assessor lists the year built as 1910, but this is not authoritative.
December 31, 1910–John W. & Mattie C. Cookerly sold the property to Grova C. Cookerly, a single man, for $2000. (128/26)
Polk’s 1911-12 Directory lists Grova C. Cookerly as a student residing at 211 Fulton, as are John W. & Mattie C. Cookerly. This seems to be some sort of “family -deal” which may also have some tax implications.
November 4, 1914–Grova C. Cookerly sold the property to David McCoy, A bachelor, for “$1 lawful money” and other considerations. (137/77)
David McCoy is listed in the 1915 & 1916-17 Polk’s directories as a farmer residing at 211 Fulton.
December 18, 1923–the date of final settlement of the will of David McCoy, who died March 20, 1923. He bequeathed lot 3, block 2 of Brookside Addition to his niece, Jennie M. Elliott. (Superior Court, #17146, on microfilm in the Walla Walla County Clerk’s office, Walla Walla County Courthouse)
Jennie M. Elliott is listed in Polk’s 1921-22 City Directory as a domestic residing at 211 Fulton; David McCoy is listed in that directory at the same address.
April 28, 1950–Parker Barrett, as executor of the will of Jennie M. Elliot, sold the property to Harry Jay Reynolds and Sarah M. Reynolds, husband and wife, for $10 and other consideration. (Deed #332472)
Harry Jay Reynolds is not listed in Polk’s City Directories for 1946, 1948, 1951-52 or 1953.
November 21, 1950–Harry Jay Reynolds and Sarah M. Reynolds sold the property to Ray L. Small, Jr. and Margery J. Small, husband and wife. (252/43)
Ray L. Small, Jr. is not listed in Polk’s 1951-52 City Directory.
April 14, 1951–Ray L. Small, Jr. and Margery J. Small sold the property to Thomas S. & Ruth O. Jensen, husband and wife. (#488264)
Polk’s 1953 Directory lists Thomas S. Jensen as the owner of Jensen Tile Co., Jensen Tile & Marble Co. in 1957, residing at 211 Fulton.
September 21, 1957–Thomas S. Jensen and Ruth O. Jensen transferred their real estate contract with the Smalls to Russell W. & Bertha Mae Larsen, husband and wife. (282/527)
Polk’s 1958 Directory Ilsts Russell W. Larsen as the band director at Whitman College; Hart’s 1967 Walla Walla Residents and Business Directory lists him as director of music for the Walla Walla School District #140 and still residing at 211 Fulton.
August 7, 1967–Russell W. and Bertha M. Larsen sold the property to John A. Haase, an unmarried man, for $23,000. (#488265)
Hart’s 1968 Directory lists John A. Haase as working for Boise Cascade Corporation and his wife, Margaret, as a teacher at Green Park School and both residing at 211 Fulton.
June 30, 1969–John A. Haase and Margaret Haase, husband and wife, sold the property to Donald A. Parry and Geraldine Parry, husband and wife, for $24,900. (#513674)
Hart’s 1970 Directory lists Donald A. Parry as an operator supervisor for Project Corporation.
July 20, 1971–Donald A.& Geraldine Parry sold the property to David M. Deal and Judith A. Deal, husband and wife. (#515858)
prepared by Michael W. Smith. 1/95