lots 6, 7, and 8 in Block 15 of the Original City of Walla Walla.
February 12, 1866–the City of Walla Walla granted and conveyed lot 7 in Block 15 to Nathan Brown for $10. (Deed Book E, Page 81, hereinafter E/81)
February 13, 1866–the City of Walla Walla granted and conveyed lot 6 in Block 15 to M. Brown, L. Brown, and B. Sheideman, co-partners in the firm of Brown Bros. & Co., for $10. (E/444)
February 17, 1866–the City of Walla Walla granted and conveyed lot 8 in Block 15 to I. Dusenbery and W. Dusenbery, co-partners in the firm of Dusenbery Bros., for $10. (1/215)
October 27, 1868–Nathan and Emilia Brown, husband and wife, sold lot 7 to W. P. Adams for $1000. (H/402)
December 10, 1868–M. and Ada Brown sold lot 6 to Caroline A. Newell for $2400. (1/44)
March 14, 1882–M. E. and William P. Adams, wife and husband, sold lot 7 to George 1: Thompson for $3000. (y /121)
March 17, 1882–Geo. 1: and Nellie Thompson, husband and wife, sold lot 7 to H. Dusenbery for $3000. (Y/123)
February 12, 1889–Caroline A. Newell, widow, sold lot 6 to Frank J. Parker for $2500. (43/29)
May 15, 1889–F. J. and Martha J. Parker, husband and wife, leased lot 6 on the northeast corner of 4th and Poplar lithe dwelling’ house and other buildings thereon and all the furniture and other contents of said dwelling house, II which was the former residence of the Parkers, for $30/month from May 15, 1889 with an option to continue, to F. H. Barnard. (44/185)
July 19, 1892–Nathan and Fanney Dusenbery, husband and wife; Lewis and Julia Dusenbery, husband and wife; Esador and Helen Dusenbery, husband and wife; and Jacob Dusenbery sold lot 8 to Albert Rosenow for $1500. (???/231)
August 9, 1892–Albert Rosenow conveyed lot 8 to Celia Rosenow, his wife, for $1. (51/162)
May 2, 1903–Henry and Rosalia Dusenbery, husband and wife, sold lot 7 and several other tracts of land to Fred Stencil for $15,000. (51/501)
May 15, 1903–Fred Stencil sold lot 7 and several other tracts of land to Rosalia Dusenbery for $5500. (51/502)
May 16, 1903–Rosalia Dusenbery sold lot 7 to J. E. Kees for $10 and other consideration. (87/167)
May 23, 1905–Frank J. and Martha Parker sold lot 6 to Mordo McDonald for $2800. (98/365)
R. A. Bennett’s Walla Walla: A Town Built to be a City. 1900-1919, states that Mordo McDonald was the son of a pioneer family of LaGrande, Oregon, who came to Walla Walla in 1895. He went into business as a horse dealer with several others and “bought over eight thousand horses for the government to use in the Spanish-American War.” (p. 83)
Construction of the Building: the source above states on p. 83: “In 1905 McDonald built his brick feed and sales stable on the corner of Fourth and Poplar streets, II and has a photo of McDonald’s Feed and Sale Stable from the 1907 city directory.
March 8, 1906–Albert and Celia Rosenow, husband and wife, sold lot 8 to Simon Wertheimer for $2650. (102/393)
April 12, 1907–J. E. and Flora Kees, husband and wife, sold lot 7 to S. M. Kees for $5000. (108/343)
May 23, 1912–Jessie J. Marsh, formerly Jessie J. McDonald, in her own right and as heir of Belle McDonald, her deceased mother, sold her interest in lot 6 and several other tracts of land to Mordo McDonald for $5000. (129/233)
December 19, 1912–Mordo McDonald, guardian of the estate of Hector McDonald, sold an undivided one-fourth interest in lot 6 to William B. Clowe for $3750. (129/623)
December 21, 1912–Mordo and Florence McDonald, husband and wife, sold an undivided three-fourths interest in lot 6 to William B. Clowe for $11,250. (131/80)
December 27, 1913–5. M. Kees conveyed lot 7 and several other tracts of land to Elizabeth Kees, his wife, for $1. (133/630)
January 23, 1920–Annie ~ Clowe, a widow, sold lot 6 to Charles Martin for #1 and other consideration. (Deed #105285)
The 1914 city directory list Charles Martin as a farmer.
November 9, 1920–the legatees, executors and trustees of the estate of Elizabeth Kees, deceased, sold lot 7 to Dora Martin for $3000. (#115809, see also #184398 of January 28, 1930, tranferring property from heirs at law of Elizabeth Kees to Dora Huston)
February 12, 1930–Dora and William Huston, husband and wife, sold lot 7 to John H. Bauer, a bachelor, for $315. (#184398)
February 21, 1930–John H. Bauer sold lot 7 to Mollie C. Taylor, a widow, for $1. (#184399)
July II, 1936–William and Dora Huston quit claim deeded their interest in lot 7 to Mollie Taylor Plagman, sister of Dora Huston, for $10. (#228616)
April 30, 1937 –Charles Martin, a widower, agreed to sell lot 6 to L. A. Grunke in a Contract for Deed for $1 “and other value.” (#226949)
August 3, 1937 –Rose Mackin, Lula McDonnell, Joseph Martin, Nettie Martin, lillian Martin, Bessie Giese, and George Martin quit claim deeded lot 6 to their father, Charles Martin. for $1 to clear the title. (#230238)
October II. 1937 –Charles Martin, a widower, sold lot 6 for the consideration of $10 to The Standard Supply Co., a corporation. (#230474) L. A. Grunke was the president of The Standard Supply Co.
April 4,. 1942–Alfred K. Wertheimer, a widower, sold lot 8 to F. L. Gietzen for $10. (#265166
February I, 1944–The Standard Supply Co., a Washington corporation, sold I,ot 6 to L. A. Grunke for $10 consideration. (#282597)
March 5, 1945–L. A. and Jessie V. Grunke, husband and wife, sold lot 6 to Arnold E. and Genevieve M. Carle for $10 consideration. (#283300)
March 5, 1945–Arnold E. and Genevieve Carle, husband and wife, sold lot 6 to the Lott Supply Co., a corporation for $10 and other consideration. (#360407)
April 16, 1947–Henry C. and Mollie C. Plagman, husband and wife, sold lot 7 to Hazel Ruby Board, a widow, for $10 consideration. (#301509)
March 19, 1952–Frank L. and Emma O. Gietzen, husband and wife, sold lot 8 to Chris and Addie Hauer, husband and wife, for $10. (#352683)
May 22, 1953–Chris and Addie L. Hauer, formerly husband and wife, sold lot 8 to 1: and M. Hauer, husband and wife, for $10. (#363710)
March 18, 1955–Hazel Ruby Board sold lot 7 to Lott Supply Co., a corporation, for $10 and other consideration. (#377477)
May 24, 1956–Thor and Mildred Hauer sold lot 8 to Lela W. Lott for $10 “and other considerations.” (#387493)
December 30, 1963–the Lott Supply Co. conveyed and granted lots 6, 7, and 8 to Lela W. Lott for $10. (#454086)
February II, 1976–Lela Lott, now known as Lela W. Lewis, conveyed lots 6, 7, & 8 to Lela Rae Wing Lewis and Stania Clarene Lott Brennan, trustees, for $10. (#553159)
May 23, 1978–Lela Rae Wing Lewis and Stania Clarene Lott Brennan, trustees, conveyed lots 6, 7, & 8 to Lela W. Lewis and Stania Clarene Lott Brennan, partners in the L.W.L. Partnership, a Utah limited partnership, for $10. (#7810661)
February 23, 1980–Lela W. Lewis and Stania Clarene Lott Brennan, L. W. L. Partnership, sold lots 6, 7, & 8 to William A. and Rosemary Lloyd, husband and wife, for $10 and other consideration. (#8503132, fulfilled Real Estate Contract of February, 1980)
August 12, 1992–Wiliam A. and Rosemary Lloyd quit claim deeded lots 6, 7, & 8 to the W. A. and Rosemary Lloyd Trust. (#9207165)
Occupation of the Building:
The Whitman Archives has city directories dating from 1880 to 1992, with several missing years, most of the following is from directory listings.
1880-1885: Col. Frank J. Parker, editor and later publisher and proprietor of the Walla Walla Statesman, is listed as residing at the corner of 4th and Poplar and later at 109 Fourth street. Mrs. C. A. Newell is also listed at this address (in 1880 see is listed as the proprietoress of the Walla Walla Statesman).
1889–lease to F. H. Barnard of dwelling house, former residence of Frank and Martha Parker. The 1889 directory list him as the manager of Knapp, Burrell & Co. with a residence at the north- east corner of 4th and Poplar. He is not listed in the 1892 directory.
1905-1911: McDonald’s Feed and Sale Stable, owned by Mordo McDonald dealer in Draft & Carriage Horses, Beef & Stock Cattle, Registered Short Horns, Government Horses a Specialty. The city directory for 1905 has a picture of the building at the corner of Fourth and Poplar on p. 9.
1911-12: R. C. Kingsley, Livery, listed at 4th corner of Poplar.
1916-17: Big Four Implement Co., farm implements, W. Poplar corner S. 4th.
1931-32: listed as vacant
1933-35: Peoples Exchange Feed & Grain.
1937 -39: Standard Supply Co., plumbing supplies.
1946-1963: Lott Supply Co., plumbing supplies.
1964-1979: Consolidated Suppley Co., plumbing supplies.
1980: listed as vacant.
1981: Galaxy Entertainment
1982: Teleprompter Cable TV and Group W Cable.
1983: Group W Cable.
1984-86: Galaxy Entertainment and Group W Cable.
1987: McCaw Cooke Cablevision.
1988-89: Cooke Cablevision.
1990-92: TCI Cablevision.
prepared by Michael W. Smith, 3/95