Lot 6 in Block 14 of Green’s Park Addition to the City of Walla Walla.
Title and Occupant History:
May 23, 1863–William H. Patton and Elizabeth A. Patton sold a “portion of the S. E; quarter of the N. E. quarter of Section 20 in Township 7. North, Range 36 East… containing 19.55 acres more or less” to John Haley for $100. (Deed Book C, Page 64, hereinafter C/64)
October 7, 1867–John Haley sold 19.55 acres in Sections 20 and 21 in Township 7 N., Range 36 E.W.M. to William O. Green. (E/531)
December 30. 1895– Clarinda J. Smith and Hugh Roland Smith, husband and wife, Anna B. Barnett and W. H. Barnett, husband and wife, Philinda Green and Mary O. Green (the children of William O. and Mary F. Green and their husbands) quit claim deeded all right, title, and interest in several tracts of land, including the property in. the legal description, to Mary’ F. Green, a widow, for the consideration of $1. (60/224, see also 84/561: an affidavit by H. C. Baker dated December 15, 1902 in which he attests to the facts of the quit claim deed.)
William O. and Mary F. Green were early pioneers of Walla Walla.
Their daughter Philinda married John W. Langdon who resigned from the investment firm of Baker and Baker in 1901 to handle his mother-in-Law’s business affairs, including the development of the Green Park addition. (R. A. Bennett, Walla Walla: A Town Built to be a City. 1900-1919, p. 91)
July 20, 1903– Green’s Park Addition to the City of Walla Walla was platted by Mary F. Green. It was approved by the council of the City of Walla Walla on July 21, 1903. (Plat Book C, Page 28, Office of the Walla Walla County Auditor)
June 11, 1906– Mary F. Green, a widow, sold lot 6 in Block 14 of Green’s Park Addition to Alpha O. Hockett, wife of John C. Hockett, for $800. (106/91)
Polk’s Walla Walla City & County Directory for 1910-11 lists J. C. Hockett as president and manager of Hockett Drug Co., 5 E. Main, residing at 1003 Alvarado Terrace. In 1931-32 the city directory list him at the same address and as president of Hockett Drug Co., Inc., still at 5 E. Main.
Construction of the House: J. C. Hockett is listed in the directories for 1905-10 as having a home at 49 Clinton. March 30, 1910 he received building permit #747 to move and remodel a dwelling. The location was listed as Estrella and Alvarado and the cost as $2000. The builder was R. Lane. (Building Permit Book 1907-1913, p. 92, Whitman College Archives) From this it seems that 1910 would be the date of construction.
April 24, 1933– J . C. Hockett, a widower, sold lot 6 to Louise Blair, a widow, for $10 “and other valuable consideration.”
Polk’s 1935 directory lists Louise Blair as the widow of John C. Blair residing at 1003 Alvarade Terrace. No occupation is listed.
March 20, 1947 -Louise B. Blair, a widow, sold lot 6 to Ronald V. Sires and Maxine Sires, husband and wife, for the recorded consideration of $10. (Deed #300469)
Polk’s 1948 directory list Ronald Sires as a professor of history at Whitman College.
July 14, 1964– Ronald V. Sires and Maxine Sires sold lot 6 to Raymond Keith Loper and Diane Loper, husband and wife, for $15,500. (#459456)
The city directory for 1965 list Raymond Keith Loper as a physical education instructor at Whitman College.
June 12, 1967–Raymond Keith Loper and Diane Loper sold lot 6 to William A. Grant and Nancy C. Grant, husband and wife, for $19,800. (#486696)
The 1968 city directory lists William A. Grant as a farmer raising wheat and cattle on land near Prescott.
June 27, 1978-William A. Grant and Nancy C. Grant sold lot 6 to Stephen B. Wood and Janis M. Wood, husband and wife, for $65,000. (#7806244)
The 1979 city directory lists Stephen B. Wood as district manager of Vend Music and Janis M. Wood as a teacher at Paine School.
July 8, 1992-Stephen B. Wood and Janis M. Wood sold lot 6 to Richard W. Felt and Alice S. Felt, husband and wife. (#9206030)
prepared by Michael W. Smith, 4/95